Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Testing my Patience

I got back to school this week from a wonderful school trip with some wonderful 8th grade students only to come back to 7th graders...four pesky boy 7th graders...to be exact.   Ugh.  I don't even know where to start.   Lets just say, if this were my first year teaching, I would probably be in tears right now.  Instead, I choose to sit on my patio with a glass of wine, enjoy the sunny 78 degree weather, and vent on my blog. 

These four boys are INCREDIBLY immature (I know, I know...what can you expect from a 7th grader?).  It's just, sometimes, it is so hard to really remember and keep in mind that they are only children and I don't need to give them the time of day and argue with them when I know that they will (hopefully) grow out of this stage in the next year or two.  I can see why people look at me funny and say, "I don't know how you do it" when I tell them that I am a middle school teacher.  Sometimes, I ask myself that same question.  These kids most certainly test my patience each and every day...some days more than others.  What do they do exactly, you may ask?  I DON'T KNOW...THEY ARE JUST ANNOYING!  The giggling, the random sounds during class, the constant smirk that says "I am up to something and you can't do a thing about it," the talking under their breath, the wining, and the "I'm so cool and I know everything" walk.  How am I going to get through the last 6 weeks of school!?!?

Luckily, as I said before, this is not my first year of teaching and I know that the year will end, and at the end of it, I will realize that it was worth it because I really do enjoy my job 95% of the time.  It is very rewarding, the majority of the students are awesome, and even the ones that were not awesome have a good side to them.  Especially in a place like where I teach, in inner city Chicago where the school is 100% Mexican and 99% poverty stricken, these kids have a lot stacked up against them.  It is not and never would be okay for me or any other teacher to hold their challenges against them and judge them as children.

I feel better already :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment